For more than 23 years, Plante Moran has been a positive and leading business participant in the Grand Rapids community. We offer comprehensive audit, tax and consulting services to all of West Michigan, including Holland, Grand Haven and Muskegon. Our office is located in downtown Grand Rapids near the city’s Riverwalk Pathways, which features two miles of paved walkway along the banks of the Grand River. One of the most significant features of our office is that it is a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Commercial Interiors certified office space within a LEED Core & Shell building. The LEED rating system was developed by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) to provide independent, third-party verification that a building project meets the highest green building and performance measures. West Michigan leads the nation in number of LEED certified projects per capita.
Attracting & Retaining the Best Talent
Attracting and retaining the brightest talent to serve our valued clients is very important to our firm. We recognize that we must work hard to retain talented staff, so we strive to continually improve our award-winning culture. In addition to being recognized nationally as one of FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 17 consecutive years, and locally as one of “West Michigan’s 101 Best & Brightest Places to Work” for ten years running. We were honored to receive the 2011 Women’s Resource Center Pillar Award for the second time. This award honors West Michigan Employers who empower women in their workforce with progressive policies and practices. Plante & Moran was recognized for its decades-long focus on work-life balance and “intentionally creating policies and a culture that keeps their staff happy.” Our unique culture has also been highlighted within the curriculum at two local colleges, Aquinas College Sustainable Business program and Central Michigan University graduate studies program.
Actively Engaged in Our Community
Our participation in civic and volunteer organizations in Grand Rapids is a direct recognition of our moral obligation to give back to the communities we so greatly enjoy. With a long-held “We Care” internal motto that drives the firm’s approach to clients, staff and the community, giving of time, talent and funding is part of Plante & Moran’s DNA. We are happy to roll up our sleeves and help make a difference in our community. One example is the decision to adopt Fish Ladder Park, which is directly adjacent to our office, assisting with park improvement and beautification projects. Following are some of the community organizations we support:
American Cancer Society Cattle
Barrons Ball Committee
Association for Corporate Growth
Baxter Community Center Board of Directors
Better Business Bureau of Western MI Board of Directors
Boys & Girls Club of Grand Rapids
Center for Community Leadership
City of Grand Rapids Adopt-a-Park
Economic Club of Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce
Grand Rapids Children’s Museum Board of Directors
Grand Rapids Young Professionals
Habitat for Humanity
Heart of West Michigan United Way
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Board of Directors
Kids Food Basket
Northview Education Foundation
Potters House School Foundation
Other Way Ministries
Right Place Finance Committee
Safe Haven Ministries
Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
We Think Globally & Act Locally
We launched our Plante & Moran Cares Initiative in 2007 as a formal way to coordinate firm-sponsored volunteerism and charitable giving efforts. With Plante & Moran Cares, the firm selects a worthy cause each year and works with staff in its 18 offices to support it at the local level. This initiative provides a meaningful way for staff to understand or deepen their sense of being part of a larger community through contributions of time and talent. Equally important, we see this as an opportunity to shape a life-long commitment to volunteerism and giving back – especially for the younger staff, including our interns.
The Grand Rapids office Plante & Moran Cares initiatives include:
- Quilts for Kids - which resulted in Plante & Moran staff creating 30 quilts to comfort children with life-threatening illnesses.
- Adopt A Platoon - which resulted in the staff sending 500 care packages and raising more than $4,000 for our men and women serving overseas, including platoons with family members of Grand Rapids staff.
- Feeding America’s BackPack Program - staff donated time to pack nearly 5,000 backpack, donated more than 5,000 lbs. of food and raised $25,000 to purchase food beyond the food donated by staff. Our Grand Rapids efforts provided support for Kids Food Basket.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence – staff members raised over $8,600 to support Safe Haven Ministries, a local domestic violence shelter, and volunteered for a spring clean-up of the shelter’s property.
- Boys & Girls Club of Grand Rapids Youth Commonwealth – our staff provided support and mentoring for area boys and girls, helping to develop them into future leaders in our community.
- Equest Center for Therapeutic Riding -- Through volunteer opportunities and fundraising, the Grand Rapids office staff supported the organization's committment to improving quality of life through equine-based therapy for physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally challenged individuals.
- Kids' Food Basket -- This year staff in our Grand Rapids office will support Kids' Food Basket, helping to ensure that lunch is not the last meal of the day for nearly 7,000 kids.