About Plante Moran family office services group
Our family office services group provides affluent families and family offices throughout the nation a complete range of planning, value added, risk mitigation, and compliance services. Some of our clients benefit from our comprehensive, holistic family office solution; while others will have a more specific need and will choose one or several Plante Moran family office experts to work with their existing trusted advisors.
Because we do not sell products, manage assets, or earn commissions, family office service professionals provide objective advice on taxes, wealth transfer, investments, and business and family concerns in support of your family mission.
Each of our family office clients has a single lead relationship partner and each client experiences a customized approach. We’ll start by identifying your family offices’ challenges and goals. It is important for us understand if your family office is mature or just forming after a significant financial event. Most engagements start with one or more of our core services.
Family office core services:
- Coordination of income tax, charitable giving, investment, and wealth transfer strategies
- Management of large, complex tax preparation engagements
- Formation and staffing of family offices following the sale of a family business or other asset
- Multi-family office solutions – the power of outsourcing
- Solutions for virtual family offices
- Sophisticated individual income tax and wealth transfer planning and compliance
- Tax expertise in trusts and partnerships
- Audit and other assurance services
- Internal control and operations reviews
- Transaction advisory services including buy-side and sell-side due diligence
- Real estate consulting, monitoring, and bookkeeping
- Cyber-security reviews
- Information technology consulting including assessments and systems selections
- Family meeting planning, mission statements, and communications strategies
- Formation of private foundations and related tax compliance
- Private trust company audit, tax, and other consulting
- Independent financial advisory*, trustee services*, and life insurance consulting*
* Services provided by affiliated entities of Plante Moran.
Plante Moran is organized around industry and technical expertise. There are over 100 professionals who work within our family office industry group. Many of these technical experts also work in other industries. For our example, our family office cybersecurity teams also serve the financial services industry including community banks, investment funds, and broker dealers. Similarly many of our tax and audit experts have experience with our investment fund (real estate and private equity) clients.
Our family office professionals are also active participants in the Illinois Venture Capital Association (IVCA) and the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG). This unique paring of family office expertise with other industry experiences brings a broader perspective and a more robust transfer of best practices to our family office clients. We are also active members of the Family Office Exchange FOX Thought Leaders council and hold board positions at the Chicago Estate Planning Council.