- October 22, 2013 @ 2:00 PM EDT
Efforts to reform tax codes went into full swing following the 2012 election, which saw a single party gain control of both chambers in many states. Reducing income tax rates or eliminating income taxes in favor of an expanded sales tax base is one of the reform tactics being adopted in several states. The expanded base can include among other things, taxing the sale of services, including digital services and digital goods.
This webinar will address a review of items typically included in the sales tax base, as well as those items being targeted as additions to the sales tax base, including but not limited to services, digital goods, and cloud computing, and several planning opportunities for taxpayers to address sales tax expansion.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify what items have been typically included in the sales tax base
- Identify what items states are targeting to include in their expanded tax base, including services and digital goods
- Understand several planning opportunities for taxpayers considering the ever-expanding sales tax base
- Jason Parish, Tax, Plante Moran
- Jennifer Zimmerman Horwood Marcus & Berk, Chicago law firm