As a leader within Plante Moran’s tax practice, Mike aligns client needs with the appropriate tax advisory resources to provide them with the comprehensive guidance they need to achieve their goals while minimizing the business and family tax burden.
Mike serves as tax advisor for a wide range of privately owned companies, including service companies, private equity and venture capital funds, and family offices. He works directly with clients to help them better understand the business value they can and should be receiving from their tax services and reports.
Mike draws on more than 30 years of accounting experience and delivers a highly personal level of service to help closely held businesses and their owners achieve operational excellence by:
- Structuring tax-efficient transactions that fit the business’s growth strategy while maximizing after-tax profit for the family and other stakeholders
- Working with outside advisors to implement complex estate plans that efficiently transfer assets among generations
- Understanding the future plans of the business and helping plan tax-efficient strategies to achieve these goals
- Assisting taxpayers in keeping up to date with the constant challenges in taxation to more efficient plan to meet the changing tax landscape
- Recognizing the opportunities inherent in today’s global economy, Mike encourages his clients to consider whether overseas expansion fits their long-term strategy and brings internal resources to help establish appropriate business structures while balancing U.S. and foreign tax reporting requirements.
- Assisting taxpayers to better understand the ever-changing tax landscape so that they can better plan tax cash flows in their budgets and in planning long term future tax cash requirements.
Known as one of Chicago’s strongest tax “idea people,” Mike believes in taking the time to sit down with business owners to fully understand their plans and goals before suggesting strategies. Mike respects his clients’ business savvy and makes sure that his recommendations fit within the established business strategy. At the same time, he challenges current assumptions and helps his clients understand the advantages and disadvantages of each path so they can make informed decisions.
Recognizing the opportunities inherent in today’s global economy, Mike encourages his clients to consider whether overseas expansion fits their long-term strategy, and he guides them in establishing the appropriate business structures while balancing U.S. and foreign tax reporting requirements. Mike speaks to professional groups on topics such as estate and trust taxation, and he teaches continuing education courses for the Illinois CPA Society. Mike has been quoted in the New York Times and featured on the nationally syndicated business news show First Business Morning News. He has a B.S. in accounting from Oklahoma State University.