Plante Moran Cresa assists largest school district in Michigan with transformational facility master plan
$500 million for 2009 bond program
$15 million to $100 million in annual updates
$700 million for 2022 Facility Master Plan
12 million SF
106 school buildings
Program Management/Owner’s Representation
Pupil Enrollment Projections
Building Utilization Studies
With over 48,000 students and 12 million square feet of space across 106 school buildings, Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) is Michigan’s largest public education system.
In 2022, DPSCD approved a $700 million facility master plan focused on improving its facilities for best serving students, families, and the community. DPSCD’s vision is to have every active DPSCD building reach a “good” or better facility condition index, deliver new or newly renovated schools in each neighborhood boundary, and develop a sustainable capital and operating funding for DPSCD facilities by 2040. The plan begins with seven phases.
Plante Moran Cresa (PMC) is engaged as a facility and capital program department for hire to assist in planning and implementing over $500 million of this transformational and impactful program. Our involvement with the 2022 Facility Master Plan follows a long history serving as a trusted advisor to DPSCD. Since 2009, PMC has provided DPSCD with facility and construction planning and implementation services that include:
- Demographics and enrollment projections by school, including current market trends and development overview in Detroit
- Real estate consulting across 281 locations, including 106 occupied schools and 86 vacant properties
- Establishing capital program processes and procedures
- Funding procurement
- Strategic planning and phasing for capital programs
- Professional services procurement and contract negotiation
- Design oversight and value engineering
- Program management and construction oversight
- Ensuring local/minority community involvement
- Community outreach at a school level
Throughout our engagements with DPSCD, we have provided a tremendous amount of value as a facilities and construction advisor, saving the District millions of dollars through proactive program planning and management.
In November 2022, PMC and DPSCD presented our facility planning process to the largest school districts in the country at the Council of Great City Schools COO conference in New Orleans, LA. PMC is proud to continue to work with DPSCD and to serve as a trusted advisor for facility planning and capital programs.
Our expertise plus with your district’s vision for the future is unstoppable. Reach out to our K12 experts today to see how we can assist you with all your real estate and facility needs.