Founded in 1951, Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) is a publicly funded community college that serves learners throughout the Grand Traverse region.
The challenge: Building for the future
In 2016, NMC embarked on a five-year, $30 million capital plan to implement renovations and building additions across its Traverse City campus. NMC engaged Plante Moran Cresa (PMC) to act as its owner’s representative at the start of these projects.
By 2019, PMC was involved in the successful construction of two major buildings as a part of the improvement plan:
- In 2017, PMC oversaw the design and construction of a modern student housing building, the only residential building constructed on the campus in the last 40 years.
- Concurrently, the college began the renovation of the Dennos Museum Center with an 11,000 square foot addition, guided by PMC.
With the success of the two previous projects, NMC board members approved the services provided by PMC and elected to partner with the firm for the college’s third major project, a new innovation center and library.
The solution: Owner’s representation for West Hall Innovation Center
NMC engaged PMC to act as an owner’s representative and help the college manage the budget and schedule for the new $14.4 million innovation center and library, a project funded in part by the state of Michigan and the balance by NMC and a community of donors.
PMC provided NMC with a high level of expertise, deep design and construction knowledge, and strong resources to do the following throughout the two-year project:
- Coordinate project scope with allocated budgets
- Procure architectural, construction management, and other professional services necessary to execute the work
- Manage accounting on the project, evaluating and processing payment applications and overseeing change management
- Facilitate communication updates and reports to the NMC board subcommittee and other stakeholders on a monthly basis
- Establish a recovery plan amid the pandemic to ensure a safe and timely project completion
The benefit: Successful program completion
As a result of the oversight provided by PMC, the West Hall Innovation Center and library officially opened its doors in September 2020. The 54,000-square-foot center hosts a multi-story library and several dynamic learning spaces for students. The new facility also houses two cafés, a technology help desk, the campus safety and security department, and the college radio station. Community members have expressed their delight with the new building; they are confident that it will serve the students, faculty, and the surrounding community for years to come. Plante Moran Cresa is proud to have partnered with the NMC community in bringing this state-of-the-art building to life.
With the completion of West Hall Innovation Center, the campus’s five-year capital plan has been completed.
If your college or university is considering capital improvements or construction new facilities, contact us today to see how we can help you in reaching your goals.