Plante Moran and EKS&H Officially Join Forces to Become 11th Largest Accounting Firm
Southfield, Mich., October 1, 2018 — Effective today, EKS&H and Plante Moran have combined to create the 11th largest accounting, tax, consulting and wealth management firm in the nation.
“We’ve spent the last three months preparing for this combination, and we’re already seeing early signs of success,” said Plante Moran Managing Partner Jim Proppe. “In addition to better service to our clients and more opportunities for our staff, our combined expertise is creating new business opportunities –– not only in Colorado, but across the country.”
EKS&H is recognized as the largest CPA firm in Denver and in the Rocky Mountain region, with respected practices in energy, high tech, transportation and other areas that complement Plante Moran’s current offerings.
To help better integrate the two firms, the following Plante Moran partners will relocate from Michigan to Denver:
- Bob Palmer, firmwide leader of Plante Moran’s Wealth Management Practice, will relocate from Southfield, Michigan. While Palmer’s position will remain the same, his Denver presence will allow him to assist with broader firm integration while focusing on growing Plante Moran’s Wealth Management Practice in Colorado. The firm’s wealth management services include tax, wealth transfer (including insurance consulting through Plante Moran Insurance Agency), trust through Plante Moran Trust, and investment consulting through Plante Moran Financial Advisors.
- Nate Buchalski, firmwide leader of Plante Moran’s Tax Solutions Group, will relocate from Ann Arbor, Michigan. While Buchalski’s position will remain the same, his new Denver location will allow him to bring the full suite of Plante Moran’s tax offerings to the Colorado market while building upon EKS&H’s already strong tax practice.
Through the combination, Plante Moran adds offices in Downton Denver, the Denver Tech Center, Boulder, and Ft. Collins and clients throughout the Western United States, expanding its domestic presence beyond the Great Lakes region and strengthening its expertise in energy and other key market segments. The offices will be led by the following partners:
- Joe Bertsch, CPA, the EKS&H lead tax partner will become the managing partner of Plante Moran’s Rocky Mountain region.
- Jim Cowgill, CPA, the EKS&H Boulder office lead, becomes managing partner of Plante Moran’s Boulder office.
- Chris Otto, CPA, the EKS&H Fort Collins office lead, becomes managing partner of Plante Moran’s Fort Collins office.
- Jeff Watkins, CPA, JD, formerly EKS&H’s Wealth Advisory Services lead, becomes Plante Moran’s Rocky Mountain regional tax director.
“EKS&H leaders and their teams have a proven track record providing their clients exceptional service and expertise, and we’re excited to see our two teams coming together to share their combined experience and insights,” Proppe added.
The combined firm will be the 11th largest accounting, tax, consulting and wealth management firm in the country, with more than 3,000 professionals working in 27 offices to serve national and international clients in the middle-market.
About Plante Moran
Plante Moran is among the nation's largest accounting, tax and consulting firms and provides a full line of services to organizations in the following industries: manufacturing and distribution, financial institutions, service, health care, private equity, public sector and real estate and construction. Plante Moran has a staff of more than 3,000 professionals throughout Colorado, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio with international offices in Shanghai, China; Monterrey, Mexico; Mumbai, India; and Tokyo, Japan. Plante Moran has been recognized by a number of organizations, including FORTUNE magazine, as one of the country's best places to work. For more information, visit plantemoran.com.